Monday, July 19, 2010

Bridezilla



Bridezilla. Probably one of the scariest words known to women kind. For me at least. I got married a little over two years ago and I'm pretty sure I was a fairly chill bride. No yelling, no crazy demands. I could have played the whole 'I'm a bride, do what I say' thing but that's not me. I get called a bitch enough, bitchy bride I was not going to be. But I've got this friend and I love her. Really, I do. But she is really getting out of control with all this wedding nonsense. I mean, if I can't make it to your batchelorette party, I'm sorry. I'm in your freaking wedding. I've already shelled out money for the dress, my hair/make up, your present, your bridal shower. Going out of town for your "last weekend as a single lady", two months before you know I'm going on vacation, is not going to happen. Between the twenty texts asking if I got this invite or that invite or did I make the appointment to get my hair done. It makes me want to scream.

But here's the thing that KILLS me about all this. SHE'S ALREADY FREAKIN' MARRIED!! They got married in Vegas (please, kill me with the irony already) and no one knows but myself and two other girls. I sorta get why they did it. He's in the army, he's in Iraq, the benefits they both get now that according to law, they're one with the holy matrimony. Sure, I'm OK with that. But she hasn't told anyone and is STILL having her platinum wedding. No, really. The budget has gotten bigger as the date gets closer. Last time I heard, they were up to $70K. That's $70,000. Do you not understand how much money that is?!? I had a destination wedding. My parents paid for the few from my side, my husbands parents paid for the few from his side. Then we had a big, huge party a few weeks later. Open bar, of course. Both side of the family are Irish. They can put it away like no one else. With all that said and done, we didn't even come close to $10 grand. Not even close. And I did the whole thing. The dress, the hair (twice even! Once for the actual wedding and once for the reception), the food, the flowers, the DJ, all that wedding stuff. I did it. But this chick....God. She wants a wedding, not a marriage.

Please my age should not get married. Honestly. I love my husband, he's a great guy and sure, sometimes I want to punch him in the throat. But I'm 25 years old for Christ's sake. I've been with the guy since I was 18 years old. If I'd known then what I know now, never, ever would I have gotten married. I think there needs to be some rule, or law even, that you can't get married until you're 30. That way you know who you are and what you want in life. Cause, let me tell you, I am not the same person I was when I met him. Hell, I'm not the same person I was last year. Changing and growing and figuring out who you are is part of life. Getting married because you think it's the right thing to do, because all your friends are doing it, makes it a mistake.

Honestly thought, I'm glad I did. I give him (my husband that is) a lot of flack and talk about him to my girlfriends but he's really great.

So I was at the mall this past weekend with an old friend from high school and found a pair of shoes that I NEED in my life. If anyone wants to loan me $200 to get them, I'll make you some cookies or a cake or something. In the meantime, I'll just have to look at these. No, these aren't the same ones but they're pretty all the same. And yes, Alexander McQueen makes my soul happy. Right to the core of my soul.

2 comments:

  1. i almost spit beer on the mac when i read " but sometimes i want to punch him in the throat" AHAHAHAHA! ahh i love you

    ReplyDelete